Monday, April 30, 2007

As usual it's been a while since my last post, so naturally a lot has happened. After Auroville, Sahil and I returned briefly to Chennai. From there I headed up to Hampie which I heard was an amazing place. The trip up was far from amazing however. The train only got me about half way there, and after that it was all local buses. Taking the local bus is a difficult process in India as there is nobody who seems to really know which bus goes where. The ordeal of finding the right bus usually goes as follows: You ask a rickshaw driver which bus you have to take. He gives you a definite answer, that being, "25B". You walk to bus number 25B and ask. "Hampie?" the answer will most certainly be "No" and then something like "72A" So you walk to 72A and ask "Hampie" and the answer will once again be "No" and then "37D". The process continues as such until you ask some nice locals who will tell you that you have to first take the 34F to a town close to Hampie, and then transfer to a new bus. Anyway, by the time I was near Hampie, it was around 10 pm and the chances of getting to my destination and checking into a hotel before 12 were looking pretty grim. In order to speed the whole process up and avoid waiting an hour and a half for the next bus, I started haggling with a rickshaw driver. I wasn't doing too well...80 rupee was the lowest I could get. I was seemingly the only foreigner in the middle of some dark seedy looking Indian town, and naturally wanted to get out of there. I was considering taking the offer when the driver said, "or you could see if that girl over there wants to split with you". I looked over and surrounded by a crowd of aroud 8 rickshaw drivers, bargaining fiercely was a small Korean girl. I went up to her and she already had the drivers down to 70 rupee. We ended up splitting the ride for 35 each.
So we arrived at our room around 30 minutes later, (after an incident with a small fat Indian kid (which is rare) grabbing her breast) and got some dinner. For the following 5 days we explored the ruins of Hampie by bicycle, motorbike and the good ol' fashion healtoe express. Hampie is definitely one of the most beautiful places I've seen (despite the normal grime of India). It was super hot so we did a lot of swimming and just hanging out. At one point when we had the motorbike, Shim (that's her name) pointed out that we were driving by a wedding. I parked the bike and we just strolled in. We were immediately taken to the head table as guests of honour, fed more food than we wanted and stared at and questioned (as usual) by all the guests. So yes George, now I've been to an Indian wedding.
Shim and I decided to keep travelling together, so we hopped a train up to Agra, our next destination. The day we arrived, we found out that it was National Heritage day, so we got to see the Taj Mahal and the nearby fortresses for free. The one day of the year where the visit is free, and we just happened to stumble upon it. Normally it would have cost us 1000 rupee each for both sites. (that's around 30 something Canadian...which is a lot of money here). After Agra we went to another town to relax a bit and see some more ruins. At this point we were pretty ruined out, so we just did a lot of hanging out...plus it was deathly hot and Shim got a fever.
The next destination was Varanasi to see the banks of the river Ganges and obviously, loads of dead bodies being cremated. Now it was my turn to get sick. Varanasi was around 45 to 47 degrees most of the time we were there. I got a fever and spent a day hallucinating quite heavily.
The next day I was a bit better and we moved to a new hotel closer to the river. We went to McDonald's, which is something I wouldn't normally do, but it felt like the healthiest choice in the area. On the way there our cycle rickshaw driver was having a lot of trouble, so I offered to change places with him. So I drove the cycle rickshaw, and almost had a few accidents...they're more difficult to stear than they appear, but I got the hang of it fast. We then saw some really stupid Bollywood film called something like "Chan love story hai!". We were both screaming "END!" after around half way through. Unfortunately the film director and actors couldn't hear us.
So we spent a while in Varanasi. Shim got sick again...another fever. I heard later that most travellers who go to Varanasi get sick. The explanation that I heard was that there is "too much death in the air". It seems plausible. We spent the good part of a day in a cafe down one of the labyrinth like back alley streets that surround the river bank. Every five minutes we would hear chanting, look out the window and see a new body being carried by a procession of "mourners" (who are apparently not allowed to cry) towards the "burning ghats".
The thing that's really disturbing is that there are five sewers pumping into the Ganges continually, at least 250 cremations every day (24/7) along with loads of bathers who think that they're purifying their bodies and souls of sin...so much disease there.
Anyway, so it's easy to get sick in Varanasi. At around 10 pm I forced Shim to go to the doctors. We had somebody from the hotel show us how to get there. Again, the old city of Varanasi is like a maze of narrow back alleys full of cowshit, beggars, motorbikes, cows, dogs and merchants. It was even more difficult to navigate at night. At the doctors office, the doctor examined her in front of 5 or six local men. When the doctor told her to get on the table, one of the locals who had been chewing tobacco suddenly choked and spewed out a big stream all over the cramped office floor. He then staggered out into the street where sounds of vomit hitting pavement resonated like a soothing waterfall.
So I took Shim back to the room and now had to find the damn pharmacy at 11 pm. I'll spare you all the details, but as usual when I got there, the meds required weren't on the menu, so I had to find another pharmacy. No surprises as this is just how India works.
So yeah, got back, meds were taken, health improved and after a while longer, we said our goodbyes and I started my long journey to the Kolkata (previously known as Calcutta) airport. I was to take an overnight train from Varanasi that upon arrival should allow me 5 hours to get from the train station to the airport...but this is India, so I was prepared for a close call. I got exactly what I expected.
First the train was 2 hours late to pick me up. Then it was another hour late dropping me off. So now it's 10:00 am and my flight leaves at 12 and I need to print off my itinerary. So I frantically find a net cafe, run outside, get a taxi and start the stressful ride there. It's supposed to take approximately 2 hours to get to the airport, so things weren't looking too hot (besides the weather). We started making good time and I was starting to relax and think "yeah, I might make it" when suddenly a loud crunch was heard behind me and the cab lurched forward. We had just gotten hit by a bus.
So naturally this incident is followed by a chaotic scene involving the cabbie out of the cab, shaking his fists and yelling at the bus driver while blocking 2 lanes of traffic with the cab that I'm in, while I'm yelling at the cab driver to get in the damn cab cause I'm going to miss my flight, onlookers and bus passengers yelling at the cab driver or the bus driver, cops blowing whistles horns sounding and dogs barking just for fun. Next he got back into the cab and started driving at a snails pace and swerving so that the bus (and therefore the rest of traffic) couldn't pass. He stopped and complained to 2 sets of cops while still blocking the bus until finally he got back in and took me to the airport. I ran to the ticket counter and the guy said "Oh! Your plane just left!" I said something like "fffwahat?" and he said "no, wait...it's at the next building over. RUN." I ran and did the necessary security checks etc and basically got on the plane just in time.
So now I'm in Thailand and it's nothing like India. I've returned to civilization. There are white people everywhere...which is kind of boring now. The food is AMAZING here though and I'm quite happy to have a break from the chaos that is India.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my Justin,
Sounds like a little heaven mixed with alot of hell.I'm sure that India was one heck of an adventure, never to be forgotten, but honestly my boy, I can't imagine why you would want to stay soooo long in such a place so full of such misery and filth. It certainly not somewhere I have much desire to see. But then again, you're not me. (or are you?)I've heard wonderful things about Thailand ,one of which is that the women aim to please. They are quite lovely and like to take care of the men, so its a perfect place for chauvenists. Not that I am in any way accusing you of that trait.I know you are just the opposite..Well I feel better knowing you are in a more aimiable location, so have a blast.
Love you to pieces
Belle

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! And WOW again! Don't know what to say after that! I'll think on it a while, try to digest it all, and get back to you. I'm still hung up on the cake from a couple of months ago! Don't listen to your perverted aunt. Remember that many, many nasty diseases run rampant among those 'lovely' women in S.E. Asia. And as we know, they are usually not lovely 'women' in Thailand...they're lovely 'men' dressed up as, or 'done over' as women! So, fergit about it!
Love...mommy

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonjour!
Bien que j'ai de tes nouvelles par tes parents et que je lise tes nouvelles je pense que tes aventures en Inde m'ont fait penser à Michael Jakson quand il chantait "Thriller"!!!
Des frissons partout!!!Ouf!! te voilà loin de tout ça heureusement.Quelle angoisse d'être malade là-bas..;J'espère que tu vas mieux..
J'ai vu les belles photos hier ainsi que mamie qui t'a trouvé superbe.
Tête en bas on dirait Alberto qui fait la capoeira...
Tous contents que tu sois revenu à la civilisation on espère jusqu'à la fin de ton voyage.
Profite bien de la Thailande car il parait que c'est très beau et que les gens sont accueillants.Bisous bisous de cagnes et particulièrement de tante Josée

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin,
Sorry, I forgot to mention that if you get into any compromising situations with any of the women in Thailand and she has a penis between her legs, SHE'S A MAN. Thats just in case you can't figure that out for yourself. If you need any more help, feel free to come to me.
Love Belle

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLLLER FOO. i've been reading all your posts but havent had time to answer, sowy. but now schools over, so expect lengthy responses.

not that i ever thought mom and aunt arlene were normal, but their posts hahaha - so not normal. "justin, be careful of those chicks with dicks" should be something coming from me, not your mom and aunt. haha

k so, so far you've had how many near death experiences? i've been trying to keep a tally, but i lost track.

your trips sound actually insane though and that's very cool that you got the chance to see an Indian wedding. on a sidenote: i tell ppl all the time how we crashed that one wedding beside Robin's. and how you were doing the chicken dance with the bride hahah kills me everytime

so yah, exams are done as is 1st year. quite weird if i do say so myself. im not sure about my marks, none are posted yet. i might have failed one course...awkward haha.

anyway, try not to get sick again! that's such a debbie downer move. and i know you dont want to be a debbie. i hope thailand is amazing.

Casey

1:40 PM  
Blogger your friends in Japan said...

Man,
Sounds pretty incredible! I guess you and Sahil parted ways when you headed to Hampie then? Are you travelling solo now?

I'm starting my new job this month, but I won't have any time good length of time off until August when my parents visit.

Anyway, that's kind of how I imagined India... even with all the dirt and disease, would you recommend it?

-eyan

4:55 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Shelley,
Yeah India was intense and I'm glad to have a break from it, but I'm sure I'll end up back there one day. I can't really explain why...it's just like being on another planet. Very surreal and shocking, but really interesting and there's always something going on.
As for Thailand, yeah lots of prostitues here...and lots of ladyboys.
Thanks for the advice about the penis. A guy I met already had a bit of an incident. He wanted a prostitute, and I was with him as he picked her up. She looked ever so slightly like a man, but didn't have an adams apple. He asked me "are you sure she's not a man?" and I said "yeah yeah, not a man, go for it dude" so he went back to her place and I went back to the hotel. He arrived back at the hotel around 30 minutes later and said "She was a ladyboy!" So then I made fun of him for a while. She didn't have a penis though...just a strange silicone somethingorother. As he left she was screaming "I'M A LADY!!" Looking back, it's most obvious that she wasn't. And that's why I don't visit prostitues...that and diseases.

Mother,
Thank you for the advice also. Don't worry, no ladyboys for me. And yes, cake is good. Thai deserts are good too though. Ate some really good coconut pudding in bangkok.

Josee,

Oui je vais beaucoup mieux maintenant. Les gens thai sont tres acceuillents et super sympa. Mais il y a trop de touristes ici! Mais la nouriture est excellent.

Lacey,

Good point. What inapropriate conversations we have.
I can't believe you're done first year already! Congrats. It goes really fast. Too bad about the failed class. What was it? No worries though, you can make up for it later.
Ahh the chicken dance. How I hate that song.
Near death experiences? hmmm...I'll get back to you.
I'll try not to be a debbie, but it's tough here...and I like the debbie downer music every once in a while.
So what are your overall impressions of uni now? Looking forward to three more years? What are you going to choose as a major?

Yan,
Yeah Sahil and I parted ways the day before I met Shim. Then I left her and since then I've been travelling with an Isralie guy and his Taiwanese girlfriend. But I think I'm leaving them today cause I need to get off of this damn island...rainy and nothing to do and overpriced and too many tourists. Plus travelling with a couple after you just left your girlfriend isn't that cool.
As for India...yeah, HIGHLY recommended despite all the shit. But work up to it definately. It takes a lot out of you. I think you'd like it though.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lust,
Just saw your pictures. The one of the women with pots on their heads is to die for! As for prostitutes... Why would anyone like you ever even consider going to one when girls must be lined up to just talk to you. Do you think I'm prejudiced? just realized it's your birthday in a few. Will put some money in your acc't as I'm sure thats what you need to continue the journey.
Love you
Belle

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha the chicken dance is quite a haunting song. i cant believe you coached a guy into getting a he/she prostitute. thats a once in a life time opportunity. reminds me of the time the i dared a drunk friend to get a maple leaf tattooed on her, and she did. looking back on this type of experience, you cant help but feel proud haha.

uni is goood. melikes. the partying aspect is ofcourse wonderful and money-draining (as im legal now)but what i'm really looking forward to is the education part. i made a couple mistake in picking my courses this year and all i want to do is correct them. soc and poli sci were terrible. never again lol. im loving philosophy and psych, so hopefully i make better choices next year. i need to consult you in which philo courses to choose.
Casey

8:56 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Shelley, thank you for the compliment and the support. I like that pic of the women too. I'll try to post more soon.

Casey,

Yeah I made course choice mistakes first year too...and all the the following years. I almost failed anthro in first year...think I had a 54 or something equally bad. Anyway no sweat. I didn't get to take that many philo classes, but my favorite one was existentialism with dr. Leonard...or somethnig with an L.

Ian,
I was thinking, maybe working up to going to India isn't necessary. I found Nepal good training, but maybe a bit of culture shock is a good thing. Might be cooler if you just go right into it right away...are you and Tara concidering going?

10:31 PM  
Blogger your friends in Japan said...

Coool, thanks for the tip.

Right now we're thinking of going through SE Asia up to Myanmar, cutting across to Beijing, taking the train through Mongolia, and catching the trans-Siberian line through Russia to Moscow. It's supposed to be a great journey, and you meet lots of people on the train.
Do you know how you're going to get to Europe???

-ian

6:35 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Well I was planning on flying from China cause there's a really cheap ticket from Hong Kong to London. Have to be there at the begining of August. But your way is a much more exciting way of getting there. When are you guys going to do that?

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin, I can only tell you how happy you have made me. Your account of the wedding celebration was moving and frankly it brought a small tear to my eye.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU >>> HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

George

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Just,
It's your Birthday!!!!! Where are you and what did you do to celebrate? Gift to follow soon!
Love you
Belle

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey justin..ive been reading all ur posts but ive been so buisy I havent been able to reply because ive been watching movies on the internet and laying in the sun all day. Its hard man. I hear its your B-Day? I guess u are 24 now eh...crazy...remmember when you were 17 and we were 12? I know I do.... And you have tell your mother that "fergit" is not the correct way to spell the word forget, I thought she taught English?. ANYWAYS Happy Birthday man and take it easy.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

o ya the above comment is from mike

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from now on my alias will be Stan

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyeux anniversaire Justin, avec un jour de retard car j'étais à Barcelone avec Lucien et je n'avais pas internet.
Je te souhaite plein de bonnes choses, la réussite de ta longue expérience en pays lointains et de te voir au mois de juillet.Allez continue à nous passionner avec tes histoires!!! Bisous bisous des arbiol's

2:37 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

George,
Glad you liked the account of the wedding. I saw another wedding procession in the street a few days later. The bride and groom looked really depressed and everyone was dancing joyfully around them. The joys of arranged marriage I guess.

Shelley,
I'm on an island called Ko Tao (or Tao) in Thailand. For my birthday I breathed under water. I just finished my open water scuba diving certification, and tomorrow I start the advanced course, so I've been pretty busy with that. Last night I went out with some people to some bars...2 lady boys and 2 notsureiftheywereprostitues tried to come back to my place. Interesting evening.
Thank you for the present!

Stan,
Sounds like you have a rough life right now. Don't strain your back while leaning into the computer screen. Be sure to rest it while you're laying in the sun and not to overexert yourself while reaching for a beer. Also, yes I somewhat remember being 17 and tormenting some 12 year olds.

Les Arbioles,

Merci pour les sentiments. J'espere que Barcelona etait bien. J'ai hate de vous voir a Paris!

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you believe Stan! What a lazy so and so! Speaking of lazy so and so, she is standing right here waiting to wish you a belated birthday. So here she is.
Belle

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if Mike get's to be Stan, then I want to be Ilene please. I feel her bricktop haircut does me justice and i've always had a passion for Crayola.

HAPPPPY BIRTHDAY (a couple days late) i hope you don't take it personally. i have a hard time remembering Mike's birthday at the best of times. what did you get it up? hopefully it was a crunkfest.

Did you know that there are Lady-man Pageants?!? please check one out for me if you get a chance. One took place in April in Pattaya promising lady-men "more beautiful than you have ever seen anywhere before.' commme on, thats funny shit
CAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEY

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salut!!!
Il parait que tu fais "le film Le grand bleu"" de Luc Besson dans les profondeurs sous-marines..waouhhh des plongées comme ça tu serais bien avec ta cousine Sophie elle rêve aussi du "grand bleu". elle a même essayé pendant son voyage à Punta Cana en république Dominicaine..
Sois prudent quand-même!!!
Grosses bises de tante Josée

4:36 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Lacey,
No worries, I almost forgot mine too. No I didn't. The birthday and following nights were good yes. Ladyboyssss. Yeah there are lots of pageants here, but I haven't seen one yet...but it's on my list. Either way you see enough of them as it is in this country.

Josee,

Oui je pense souvent a ce film quand je suis sous l'eau. J'ai oublie que Sophie aime ca. Dit la qu'il faudra qu'on en fait quelques plongees enssemble.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Joe Klis said...

Justin
I am a friend of your folks, I give you prop's for your courage and spirit.
Good luck.
cheer's

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home