Thursday, March 08, 2007

Alright. I see I haven't written for a long while so I guess it's about time. Not much has happened since I last wrote though. That was very much a lie, I'm sorry. Well where to begin? Work as a "Milkman" was a good experience. Not only did I get enough money to fund (at least some of) the rest of my trip, but I also learned how to sell milk and bread delivery well enough that I could probably convince a lactose intolerant, wheat allergic desert nomad that he needed milk and bread delivered. And I wasn't even the best on the team! Lies again...I was the best on the team. (note: for those of you who don't know me, the previous 5 lines have been complete fabrication)
Lots of stories of strange people I met door to door, but those are getting a bit tired. Just briefly though, one man was really interesting. I had a beer with him in his living room. He was an ex dancer from the 40's and 50's, who lived alone with a dog who seemed to really like me, as it didn't stop rubbing it's groin against the ground and looking at me for the entire half hour I was at the house. Turned out the guy danced with Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra and a few others. Told me a bit about them.
Anyway, I moved out of my hovel on Havelock st after several quarrels with our crazy landlord...(ending with me backing him into a corner and demanding my full bond back and him grudgingly accepting)...and then moved to Hope St. With my French Friend Elie. That was a nice place for a change, and we got along really well.
Eventually I saved up "enough" money and the first chance I got, I hopped a plane to Kathmandu (Nepal). I'm currently in a city called Pokhara and have just returned from a 7 day trek through the Himalayas with a guide I hired named Bochin. I just at a very large steak and am still hungry.
The trek was amazing and exhausting, so I don't think I can write about it tonight. Stay tuned for more.

Justin

4 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Hey babe,
Awefully nice to hear from you!Thank God you are down from the mount. We had you eaten by a mountain lion,or gone crazy from altitude sickness (how would we know the difference)-just kidding of course. Can't wait to hear all about your trek. It's not anything I would want to do- too much exercise!Did the guide speak english, what did you eat,where did you sleep and with who, etc, etc. Where to now?
Michael is also having a great time being pampered by the tives, being sent by plane to Inca ruins and basically not paying for much of anything. That's my boy!
Casey went to Montreal for reading week for her byannual drunk fest. Had a great time and left sick and came home even sicker.
All for now
Love you
Belle

5:50 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

hollllller.
tis nice to know you're alive. i was worried there for a second. i want to know more about the mountain trip! it seems like something a writer would do to battle writers block or something. are you writing a secret novel? how was the guide and all that jazz. were you forced to eat bark off trees from running out of food? (i dont know why i had that image of you)

reading week just ended for me. it was a funnny time lol, i montreal'ed it up. i was a good tourist and hit up all the strip clubs haha ew. i never noticed how rude montrealers are though: a cabby refused to give us a ride and told us to get some exercise and our hotel tried to screw us for breaking the one thing in our room we didnt break hahah etc. overall though; twas shits and giggles.

Nepal sounds pretty cool. someone did a presentation on it in grade 12 and if i remember correctly, there's supposed to be a really cool fountain of Lord Vishnu...somewhere lol. Apparently there are a bunch of extreme sports to do there to like hang-gliding and bungee jumping. DO IT.
hope you're having fun!
Casey

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonjour Justin! contente de voir que tu es revenu à la civilisation!!! Moi aussi je suis revenu à Cagnes sur mer.
Alors j'espère que tu as vu au moins le yeti là haut sur la montagne!!! si tu ne l'as pas vu, ce n'est pas necessaire que tu retournes!!!. En tout cas ce fut dur pour nous de penser que tu grimpais tout seul.... (enfin avec un sherpa). Bon tu fais un voyage extraordinaire et je vais continuer à suivre tes aventures.Comme tintin au tibet!!!!
Mon voyage au canada était aussi tres bien et plus calme que le tien mais tellement court qu'on dirait que j'ai rêvé... Je repartirai dès que ce sera possible.
Bonne continuation prends soin de toi et ne fais confiance à personne. Bisous bisous de tante josée

11:07 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

Ourlene! If I ever catch you talking to my daughter like that again, you are in for big trouble!!! And furthermore, when has Justin ever listened to you in the past? And as for you Justin, take a break from all the dangerous stuff or you'll have me to deal with. Bet you're scared now!
Love Belle

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home