Wednesday, November 08, 2006

So, we spent two nights on a sailboat cruising through the "Whitsundays" (islands off the coast of Arlie Beach). Our boat was dubbed a "party boat" and it most certainly lived up to it's title. There were also a bunch of Irish people on the boat, so that just pushed everybody over the edge. Didn't get much sleep, but when we did sleep, it was done so on the deck under the stars. It made for a good wakeup too. Felt the sun on my neck at sunrise, then gradually moved out of my sleeping bag into a good tanning position. Life is hard right now. We did a lot of snorkeling in the great barrier reef and hung out on one of the "nicest beaches on earth". It also lived up to it's title. White powder sand and clear water...the usual deal. After the cruise we all felt pretty strange. It seemed like land sickness. I'm better now though so don't worry. We left Arlie beach that night (2 nights ago) and slept on the bus. We arrived in a town called 1770 at around 9:30 am and checked into our hostel "cool bananas". Today we spent the entire day surfing. I think I'm now hooked. I did well for my first day (if I do say so myself), managing to both catch and surf waves. The waves got tougher as the day went on and by around 5, Ian and I were the only 2 people on the beach, and as we put it, we "got our asses kicked by the waves". I'm excited to do it again tomorrow. Well, that's all for now.

Over and out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

the party boat sounds like one boat in Acapulco. we'll have to exchange stories in private haha.

irish ppl in combination with a party boat is a dangerous mix. i bet they were calm, cool, and collected.

yesssss, surfing. now all you have to do it straighten you hair, die it blond and you'll fit right in.

thats wicked though, congrats on both catching and surfing the waves. i hear it's the hardest sport to master, so maybe you've just discovered your hidden talent.

everything sounds amazing. i'm sufficiently jealous. PEACE

3:17 PM  
Blogger maureen said...

G-day mate, Wow, I'm overwhelmed with laughter at all the adventure and response from all your vices...I mean family and friends. My good friend Cathy lived in Aussie for a year with her husband and loved the people. Except the time when she was going to take a picture of the petrogliphes of the ancient Abourigines. (Hey does thing blog thing have a spell check or do I have do drag out the ole dictionary?) Anyhoo they didn't like it at all. (petroglyphs, there I wasn't too far off, hurray for google, it wasn't in my Newly Revised and Expanded Biography and Geography Sectioned Webster's New World Dictionary with over 60,000 Entries, 200 Illustratioons and Easy to Read Type. It should have been between petro- and petrol-, but it wasn't.)
Glad you're having fun.
cousin Maureen

9:47 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

Hey you dare devil!
Ahhh, it brings back so many memories of mountain climbing, rappelling, bungie jumping, deep sea diving, so many adventures , I can hardly recall them all! The truth be told, waking up on the deck of a boat is the closest I came to matching your adventures. Where did you come from? Maybe you were adopted (that could be the good news. Just kidding of course Arlene! )Michael says-- get laid!
Love Belle

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi

9:05 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Mother, Happy Birthday first of all. Second, The locals didn't leave though...they were never there on account of the sea monster.

Casey, I remember your stories now that you mention it. Like deepsea diving with those great whites with that fresh cut cow leg tied around your neck. I'm just trying to live up to my crazy cuz. And yes, party boat=crazy. We shall tell stories aplenty.
Maureen, good to hear from you. I will try not to piss off any aboriginies...unless it would lead to a comical situation.
Mon Pere, sounds good. I can't wait to try kite surfing. Saw some people doing it today. I think I'll keep doing the normal surfing for a while first and then maybe add a kite. And I'll try not to break any legs and check the water before I go in. I don't like deadly water creatures, so I'll always check...unless I forget.
Hi to Barry, Butch, Sheila, Willy and Eilene. Hope you're all doing well!
To my friends and Family...hello.
Janet, it's true it is easy to get sick...especially on a party boat, but everyone seemed to be fine for the most part...it was more after the trip that was sickening...landsickness. But the boat was big, so not a lot of rocking.

Thanks for the messages!

Justin

1:20 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Auntie Cand,

I had no idea you were such an adventurer. Bungee jumping and lapelling? Yeah waking up on a boat is fun. Thanks for telling me the truth about the adoption. It came as a bit of a shock, but I'm alright now.

Mike, right back atcha. when are you leaving on your trip? You should come visit later.

ok, I'm out.

Justin

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home