Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Finally left Byron Bay a couple nights ago. I didn't want to, but it had to be done. We ended up spending a night in Nimbin before leaving the area. We had a dorm room all to ourselves, as well as a deck and backyard swimming pool. Met lots of crazies too. All in all it was a good time. When we got back to Byron Bay, we borrowed some bikes from the hostel and rode them out to the lighthouse, which is also the most easterly point on the mainland of Australia. Just as we got to the lookout, a school of around 30 dolphins came into view. They hung out around the point for a good 15 minutes, just swimming around and leaping into mid air. There were also around 5 or 6 sea turtles hanging out there.
We were hanging out at a park bench one night, and this guy emerged from the shadows and sat with us. He had a partially shaved head (except for the tuft at the top back) and was dressed in full desert garb...large blankets draped all around him, including a scarf around his head like a turban. He was also wielding 2 wooden flutes. We hung out for a while, and then he started playing his flutes...both at the same time of course. Ian and Sean started getting sketched out when two other people came out of the shadows, a couple in their late 40s high as kites and looking for another fix. Ian pretended to have to go to the bathroom, and then signaled to us from a far that we should follow. Sean did so immediately, so I said. "well, I guess we're leaving" As I walked away I heard the lady say. "I guess we scared them off with the drugs". I was disappointed that we had to leave so soon because I wanted to study them some more.
Anyway, Byron Bay was fun, but my funding is starting to drain, so I'm going to have to get a job in Melbourne as soon as I arrive. Probably be there around Monday or Tuesday.

Gotta go.

P.S. Bonjour Mami, Josee, Carmen et toute la famille en France! Excuse moi pour ne pas ecrire en Francais. J'espere que tout va bien la bas, et j'ai hate de vous voir cette ete.

3 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Hi Just,
Sounds more and more like you are eating too many cookies! I think your adventures are turning into hallucinations! This is just my opinion of course. The reality of having to get a job must suck for you. Casey just made the Debbie Downer wha, wha,wha. Keep on trucking.
Love Belle

8:34 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

are drugs a massive problem down there, or are you just meeting all the addicts? if so, you have luck on your side. Ian shouldn't be afraid of the druggies...they need love too.

wielding two wooden flutes haha, were the strapped to his body like a sword? i saw a guy in Quebec playing three flutes at once, meaning one was up his nose lol twas grand.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Belle,
You may be right about the halluciantions, but there is no way of telling anymore...I've plunged too deep into the rabit hole. Getting a job does suck a little, but I'm also kind of looking forward to settling down for a bit and getting more funds in my account.

Casey, drugs are pretty much similar to back home I think...maybe they're a bit more common here. But the Byron Bay area is just chalk full of hippies, so automatically there's a higher concentration of drugs. As for the wielding, no, they weren't strapped to his body...maybe brandishing would have been a better word choice. Three flutes? I don't see how that could have been anything but grand.

Mother, yeah, lots of material, and it was very surreal. Cookies will be provided with all my endeavours. Also, I remember that flute guy now. Tried to repress him...therapy...thanks for bringing him back to the surface.

Les Arbioles, merci pour lire regulierement. Excuse moi pour l'usage de mots compliques, mais c'est bien aussi pour apprendre. A ce moment, oui, je dors sans petits betes, mais qui sait ce que la future va offrire. J'espere que tout le monde va bien la bas. Bisous, Justin

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home